Sunday, 17 May 2009

ป้อมฮวาซอง (Hwaseong Fortress) สมบัติของแผ่นดิน มรดกที่ พระเจ้าจองโจแห่งโชซอนทิ้งไว้ให้ชาวเกาหลี

King Jeongjo (right) created Hwaseong Fortress to honor his father, Prince Sado,
who was killed on order of his grandfather, King Yeongjo (left).

Crown Prince Sado, King Jeongjo's Father

Prince Sado

Prince Sado (장조 사도) (莊祖 思悼) (1735 - 1762) was born as the second son of the Korean king Yeongjo of Joseon. Because his older brother Prince Hyojang died young, in 1728, Prince Sado was born the royal heir. However, he was mentally ill, wantonly killed people, and was very erratic. This was a disappointment to his father, who forced him into suicide by putting him in a rice casket. He died within eight days. His son became Jeongjo of Joseon after Prince Sado's death. Emperor Jeongjo spent much of his reign trying to clear his father's name. He also moved the court to Suwon to be closer to his father's grave, and built a wall around Sado's grave that is now a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

The Hwaseong Fortress is the most famous historic site in South Korea and the centre of Suwon, a city with a population of around a million, is dominated by the impressive looking fortress. The twenty-second monarch of the Korean Joseon Dynasty, King Jeongjo, ordered the construction of the complex in 1794. It is like a large open air museum and measures a hundred and thirty hectares, its walls extending for five kilometres. Indeed, the unique value of the fortress has been recognised by Unesco who have designated it as a World Heritage Site. A walk through the fortress could take several hours but it is well worth making the time to enjoy the splendour of the buildings. The majestic towers of Hwaseong continue to rise proudly into the sky above Suwon as a noble landmark of the city and also the Joseon Dynasty

The architecture of Hwaseong Fortress

The architecture of the fortress combines traditional Eastern and Western styles, which makes it very distinctive from other Korean Fortress(Or castle).

Four gates
The fortress has four gates, "Hwaseomun" (west gate), "Janganmun" (north), "Paldalmun" (south) and Changnyongmun (east). The Janganmun and Paldalmun gates are the larger of the four main gates and resemble Seoul's Namdaemun in roof design, and stone and wood work.(Janganmun is bigger than Namdaemun. Janganmun is the most enormous gate in Korea.) Paldalmun was burned down during the Korean War and was reconstructed in 1975. Janganmun survived destruction and is from the original construction of the fortress. Both the north and south gates are topped with two-story wooden pavilions while Hwaseomun and Changyongmun, the west gate and east gate respectively, had one story pavilions. The north gate's grand design reflected King Jeongjo's desire to move the capital to Suwon. The four main gates are encircled by miniature fortresses which housed guards to protect the gates.

The wall is 5.74 kilometers in length and four to six meters high, originally enclosing 1.3 square kilometres of land. On flat terrain the wall was generally built higher than wall that was on mountainous terrain, an incorporation of terrain into the fortress defenses which was rare in China and Japan. The parapets are made of stone and brick, like most of the fortress, and were 1.2 meters in height.

Although the southern section has not been restored, the three-quarters that remains is well maintained and can be hiked on foot.

Wall structures
Originally, there were 48 facilities along the wall of the fortress but seven of them have been lost to flooding, wars, or wear. The fortress features a floodgate, four secret gates, four guard platforms, two observation towers, two command posts, two archer's platforms, five firearms bastions, five sentry towers, four angle towers, a beacon tower and nine bastions.

There were three watchtowers but only two remain, both three-stories with distinctive wooden pavilions on top and embrasures for guns and lookouts. The beacon tower had five chimneys to make different signals with smoke or fire. When one was lit it signaled peace, two meant the enemy had been spoted, three meant the enemy was approaching, four meant the enemy had made it into the city, and five signals lit meant that the fighting had begun.

Jeong Yak-yong [정약용] : Architect Hwaseong Fortress

Hwaseong Fortress was built over two and a half years, from 1794 to 1796. The architect was Jeong Yak-yong, who would later become a famous leader of the Silhak movement. Silhak, which means practical learning, encouraged the use of science and industry and Jeong incorporated fortress designs from Korea, China, and Japan and scientific knowledge into his plans. Adoption of brick as a building material for the fortress and the use of efficient pulleys and cranes also were the result of the influence of Silhak.

The fortress was also a response to the collapse of the Korean front line during Hideyoshi's Invasions of Korea. At the time, the dominant Korean fortress-building model was to make a simple wall for the city or town and a separate mountain fortress for the people to evacuate to in times of war. However, this fortress was built to include elements of a wall, defensive fortress, and town center. The four main gates were used as the gates for the town. The arrow-launching platforms built along ramparts with crenelleted parapets and battlements were elements of the fortress while the wall also held secret gates for offensive actions.

The fortress took 700,000 man-hours to build and cost the national treasury 870,000 nyang, the currency at the time, and 1,500 sacks of rice to pay the workers. In the past, government works were built with corvée labor, but in this case workers were paid by the government, a sign of Silhak influence.

King Jeongjo apparently built this fortress to prepare for a move of the capital from Seoul to Suwon. Suwon is strategically positioned to connect Seoul with the Yellow Sea and China. The king wanted to leave the fracticious strife of the court to carry out reforms and believed that Suwon had the potential to grow into a new and prosperous capital. To encourage growth, he ordered people to move to Suwon at considerable expense and exempted them from taxes for ten years. King Jeongjo also ordered public works, like educational facilities, for the city.

A white paper "Hwaseong Seong-yeokuigwe" (Records of Hwaseong Fortress Construction) was published in 1800, shortly after Jeongjo died. It was ten volumes and proved invaluable for the reconstruction effort in 1970 after the fortress had been severely damaged during the Korean War. The volumes were divided by subject. The first volume was about the plans for building, such as the drawing details and list of supervisors. The next six volumes detail the actual implementation of the building.

ป้อมฮวาซอง (Hwaseong Fortress) สมบัติของแผ่นดิน มรดกที่ พระเจ้าจองโจแห่งโชซอนทิ้งไว้ให้ชาวเกาหลี

ป้อมฮวาซอง (Hwaseong Fortress) ตั้งอยู่ที่เมืองซูวอน ประเทศเกาหลีใต้สร้างขึ้นในช่วง ค.ศ. 1794 - 1796 โดยพระเจ้าจองโจแห่งราชวงศ์โชซอน เพื่อใช้เป็นที่ประทับและเป็นที่ฝังพระศพขององค์ชายรัชทายาทจังฮอน (องค์ชายซาโด) ที่ถูกพระบิดาคือพระเจ้ายองโจซึ่งเป็นพระอัยกาของพระเจ้าจองโจลงโทษโดยการขังองค์ชายไว้ในถังข้าว ให้อดข้าวอดน้ำพอผ่านไป 7 วันจนสิ้นพระชนม์ภายในถังข้าว
ป้อมฮวาซองมีพืนที่ถึง 30 ตารางกิโลเมตรโดยตั้งอยู่ทางใต้ของกรุงโซล (พ.ศ. 2540)


ป้อมฮวาซองได้รับจดทะเบียนให้เป็นมรดกโลกในการประชุมคณะกรรมการมรดกโลกสมัยสามัญครั้งที่ 21 เมื่อปี พ.ศ. 2528 ที่เนเปิลส์ ประเทศอิตาลี โดยผ่านข้อกำหนดและหลักเกณฑ์ในการพิจารณาให้เป็นแหล่งมรดกโลก ดังนี้
(ii) - เป็นสิ่งที่มีอิทธิพลยิ่ง ผลักดันให้เกิดการพัฒนาสืบต่อมาในด้านการออกแบบทางสถาปัตยกรรม อนุสรณ์สถาน ประติมากรรม สวน และภูมิทัศน์ ตลอดจนการพัฒนาศิลปกรรมที่เกี่ยวข้อง หรือการพัฒนาการตั้งถิ่นฐานของมนุษย์ ซึ่งได้เกิดขึ้นในช่วงเวลาใดเวลาหนึ่ง หรือบนพื้นที่ใดๆ ของโลกซึ่งทรงไว้ซึ่งวัฒนธรรม
(iii) - เป็นสิ่งที่ยืนยันถึงหลักฐานของวัฒนธรรมหรืออารยธรรมที่ปรากฏให้เห็นอยู่ในปัจจุบันหรือว่าที่สาบสูญไปแล้ว

ป้อมฮวาซองแห่งนี้ถูกสร้างขึ้นในสมัยพระเจ้าชองโจ กษัตริย์องค์ที่ 22 แห่งราชวงศ์โชซอน พระองค์ทรงต้องการสร้างป้อมแห่งนี้ขึ้นมา เพื่อต้องการย้ายหลุมศพของพระบิดา Sado Seja จากภูขา Beabongson มาที่ Hwaseong ในซูวอน และต้องการสร้างเมืองหลวงขึ้นมาใหม่ เพื่อเสริมความยิ่งใหญ่ของความเป็นกษัตริย์ ป้อมฮวาซองนี้เริ่มต้นสร้างในปีค.ศ.1794 และมาเสร็จในปีค.ศ.1796 ซึ่งในการในการสร้างป้อมแห่งนี้ได้ใช้วิทยาการการก่อสร้างระหว่างวิธีของชาวตะวันตก และ วิธีของชาวตะวันออกผสมผสานเข้าด้วยกัน คือมีการใช้ทั้งหิน ปูน และก้อนอิฐ มาสร้างร่วมกันเป็นส่วนประกอบของป้อม และกำแพง และได้มีการใช้ปั้นจั่นเป็นครั้งแรกในการก่อสร้าง ซึ่งถือว่าทันสมัยสุดๆ ในยุคนั้น ทำให้โครงสร้างของป้อมนั้นมีความมั่นคง และแข็งแรงเป็นอย่างมาก

ตัวป้อมฮวาซองนี้ถูกสร้างทอดตัวยาวไปตามแนวไหล่เขา และที่ราบ โอบล้อมเมืองซูวอนไว้เป็นรูปวงไข่ขนาดใหญ่ หรือบ้างก็ว่าดูเหมือนรูปดอกไม้ โดยมีความยาวถึง 5.5 กิโลเมตร ป้อมฮวาซองนี้จะมีป้อมต่างๆ ตั้งเรียงรายอยู่ตามแนวกำแพงอยู่กว่า 50 ป้อม แต่ปัจจุบันเหลืออยู่เพียง 48 ป้อม เพราะบางส่วนถูกทำลายไปเมื่อสมัยญี่ปุ่นเข้ามาครอบครอง และสมัยเกิดสงครามเกาหลี การที่จะเดินเที่ยวป้อมฮวาซองจนทั่วนั้นอาจจะต้องใช้เวลาเดินกินเวลา กินเวลาหลายชั่วโมงเลยทีเดียว.

Source : myspace graphic comments

No comments:

Post a Comment